Wednesday, March 31, 2010

One third of way there!

Hi! from the traveller! currently in the SEOUL airport, waiting for flt number 2 to Mumbai and then the third and final one to Kathmandu, arriving tomorrow morning (April 1 with us!) Korean airlines is FANTASTIC!! leg room .... great meals, lovely
people .. watched movie on Michael Jackson rehearsing his last performance "This is it" and also some tasteful ballet dancers ... gal beside me is from China and was thrilled with a little bit of english I gave her and she asked me in her broken English to
come and teach in China!! ha ha..

It was strange and wonderful flying westwards, turn right from Vancouver airport, up north, north west, skirting B.C and Alaska and then over the Aleutian Islands in the Bering Sea, crossing the International Date Line and suddenly we were late afternoon on March 31st! Nostalgic and beautiful flying right over Hokkaido, my old stomping ground in Japan and then over the East Sea and into Seoul, Korea... Airport austere, slanty architecture, generic shops no advertising on any walls. Sort of like a fancy barricade. The floors are wooden and well polished. Sophisticated in a down played way. As I trolley ed my way through the airport with a few hours to spare I was asked to join a group of intent painters. Free cultural activity... I finished painting a small 'Dancheong' plaque in 'traditional Korean color scheme' wat they use on buildings. So neat, this rather meditative and calming exercise right here in the airport!

It was a busy few days in Vancouver. Arran was very helpful with my last minute arrangements, especially closing and securing my backpacks and my "Bonnie Bag" with clothes, toys, etc. for kids in the Kathmandu orphanage.

Tiredness begins to seep into bones; it is 4:20 a.m. Vancouver time!

Thanks for your various notes of encouragement. hugs, Dyane

1 comment:

  1. I think you are there now! can't wait to here all the first impressions!!

    ReplyDelete