Wednesday, February 4, 2015

San Pedro Lodge, Amazon


It is Monday, January 5, 2015 San Pedro Lodge, Iquitos, Peru (can you believe?!)

Outside my little wooden cabin with the straw roof at San Pedro lodge, near Iquitos, miles down some tributary river in the AMAZON!  The sun is shining down (left behind, in Lima, my sunglasses, last year’s diary, English Spanish dictionary, like, all the near essentials!  annoying)  hens and chickens are rooting around somewhere in the foliage.  Before lunch (liquids and fruit for me, being Monday) it poured rain showing us the essence of the Amazon.  Have to be careful to cover computer, camera …  as already there are drips happening in my room during strong rain storms.  I adjust and hope that there is not too much leakage.  It is so quiet here in the garden, just hear birds twittering in the trees.  I have not gone out to explore yet; there is a small trail nearby leading to a village; this is where the staff seem to repair to when they are finished here.  It is so tranquil here, like, no wires, back in time.  They will be putting on the power I guess a little later.  I understand that there are most guests coming tonight, one to be beside me and sharing the bathroom.  I am still in a bit of a daze with disbelief that I am here!  I trust that fasting will help me get into my writing routine.  Now I hear a funny sound and wonder what animal that is.  There is one worker close by moving about quietly.  Can I believe the ‘thached rooves around me?  The tall trees and wide leaved palms?   The bright yellow floers on the tree opposite me and the red clusters in bushes around the property.  The two girls and man who I met here yesterday were so nice and I am sorry they left up river to spend 5 days with a shaman; would be interested to go too!  Was fun to spend time with them last night.  Now  on my own and feeling low in energy.  Spend the morning practicing Spanish, doing written and memory exercises.  About time I got into the exercise book. 

Glad that I wrote some tips in the plane yesterday which I will start on soon.  Part of me wants to snooze in the sun, just to let go.  Maybe I will do just that for now.  Don’t resist it.  It may be my one time that I will be on my own here.  Don’t want to think of where next, what next….

















Coming into San Pedro Lodge, Amazon


My little cabin in the dark!


No comments:

Post a Comment