Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Lake Titicaca January 13

Quite a blip when I took the bus from Cusco to Puna two days ago to connect with the ferry to the first island. When I arrived at the Puna terminal  (4 in the morning) I realised that the bus personnel in Cusco had taken my tour itinerary (and vouchers paperwork)  and just left my one way bus ticket receipt  to Puno!  So, imagine, yours truly, arriving  in Puna at 4 or 5 in the morning with no vouchers or tickets for the actual boat part of the tour!  The bus lines was closed and would not open until after the ferry left for the island, so I was stymied!!  Anyway, long story short, I bought another tour ticket at another agency for the three small ferry trips to the three islands - including breakfast, dinner, one lunch and one night's accommodation (at a lovely old native lady in her house on Amantani Island - reminded me, Rosemary,, of our Dad's Mom in her little houseen in Ironpool, Co. Galway).  You can imagine how annoyed I was but I did not let it spoil my 1 1/2 day trip with the others on the 'mystic' Lake Titikaka.  When I returned last night to the bus station in Puno, I told them the story, and, when I landed in Cusco I recounted the story to their agency.  I think and trust that both parties understand the story and make the necessary moves to help me get my money back for the original tour.  I had bought my bus/tour package through an agency in town and it appears that they had not recorded  the tour part on line.  I will go back to the agency tomorrow and claim my refund from them, or else !


The trip itself was,on one hand interesting, the guide was informative and spoke both languages.  I loved meeting the island peoples and seeing what they wear, how they live, etc.  It was relaxing but, actually at times tedious to be on the long boat trips to the other islands.I think we all enjoyed the tough and yet interesting uphill hikes past little huts, vegetable terraces, men, women and children spinning wool on a spindle or knitting intently.  Interesting/ thought provoking as you walked  under arches leading to the top of the hills and to ruins and to some archaeological sites.  On the first floating island of Uros, we all agreed that it had been spoiled by what could be described as too much tourism.  There was a sense of laissez faire and garbage around. The people on the island, although colourfully dressed, and one woman helped the guide in his presentation of life on this floating island appeared disinterested, tired and not as alert to the usual 'native' folks one meets.  We found the other two islands much more worthwhile to visit for reasons I all explain at a later date.  I hope one day I will regale you with stories and a selection of pictures.














No comments:

Post a Comment