Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Riding the Huacachina sand dunes into 2015

JOURNAL, JANUARY 1, 2015
Huacachina, Pisco Paracas

Welcome to Southern Peru – home to some of the tallest sand dunes in the world. Huacachina, an oasis village on the outskirts of Ica city, and Cerro Blanco, a massive dune outside the city of Nazca, are the two most popular spots in the area for sandboarders to put their skills to the test.
The Legend of Huacachina - An Oasis in the Desert
How were the gorgeous sand dunes created? Peruvian legend tells of a beautiful Princess who took a dip in a pool of water, but was interrupted by a young man who stumbled across her bathing pond.
She immediately grabbed her clothing and fled, creating the rolling dunes of sand with the folds of her mantle as she retreated across the desert, dragging her cape behind her. According to the legend, the beautiful young woman still lives in the lagoon today as a mermaid.
Huacachina
image: http://i.gonoma.net/i/features/0901/sand-images/huacachina.jpg
Huacachina
Today, the village of Huacachina (population approximately 115 – give or take a mermaid) has developed around the oasis, and is a popular resort for wealthy Peruvians.
It is also becoming famous among adventurous backpackers as one of the best sandboarding locations in Peru. Huacachina is located just outside the beautiful city of Ica, and its rolling dunes are enjoyed by newbie and pro boarders alike.

Read more at http://gonomad.com/1150-in-the-land-of-sand-dune-surfing-in-huacachina-peru#m0RKURci0KLehPSV.99



















Email to Arran…. Nice pics, boy do you every life schmartttt!  good to see your happy faces.  Did you get my pics and e-mail about my trip on the sand dunes. You HAVE to meet this Mike guy!  now just finished two for the price of one drinks here in Paracas, on the coast (LOOK UP THE MAP TO FOLLOW YER MAH!)  staying in el cheap hostel tonight, going for a boat trip to see penguins, totes, etc. tomorrow and then another bus to Lima. capital of Peru.  Signed up with AIRBNB and got a place for 2 nights in centre of Lima.  Then up to the north of Peru to a place called Iquitos, near the Amazon.  Hope to go nice places in this area before making my way back to Cusco.  Follow me?  Please try calling me at  or 9 your time tomorrow when I hope to be in my Lima aparto!  love ya fella,  Mom

Yesterday I landed by bus and I had a fun time in this out of the way place beside an oasis and surrounded by sand dunes, called Huacachina, I was in a small room with two really nice teachers, gals from Korea currently teaching in Viet Nam.  In the early evening I was talked into taking one of these sand dune buggies with a group of others.  A unique experience as you can imagine.  PNE has nothing on it!! Thought of you, Arran, you would have LOVED it!   Everyone went on sand boards,  some standing, some sitting, some lying as they plummeted to the base of the three of four huge sand dunes we drove up to!  Mike, a guy of 38 asked me to video him as he stood on his board and sailed to the bottom of three dunes.  The careening in the buggy from dune to dune was amazing.  Mike, who had talked me into going in the buggy, reminded me of you, Arran, all fresh and full of adventure and the need for challenge!  At one point my hat flew off and the Peruvian driver swung around in the buggy (doughnut?!) and picked up my hat!  On the last dune, when the sun was setting (get it, the LAST sunset of the year?!) I heard an Irish accent, and there was a brawny young man who looked like a bearded and younger version of Paul Hayes with his girl friend or wife looking Irish and happy.  I said "Conas aga tu?" and they both chimed "Ta me go mait" and we were solid friends for the few minutes! (will attach pic).  Later this Mike, the Korean girls and a lovely young black man from the states and I  walked down the dusty strip or path and stopped at a bar and the black guy (can't remember name) bought us all a pisco sour local drink.  Delicious. Fun chats, but the Korean girls were exhausted after almost 2 days of travelling from Viet Nam where they are currently teaching.  So, I too was a party pooper and went back to the room with the two girls and tried to fall asleep.. you can imagine the 'music' that went on and on and on!!

This morning I went for an early walk jog and out for a western breakfast then went by bus to Pisco and another local bus here to Paracas, beside the sea, where I am waiting to see if I can find a place to stay the night.  This place is famous for its sea life.  I have joined a great site called "Airbnb", Lesley will know of  it, and hopefully this woman will respond to my request to rent one of her rooms near to the sea.  If she does not respond in an hour I will go ahead and take a 2 hour boat trip and then take a local bus to a nearby less popular place called Pisco, for the night and then probably move north to Lima!


No comments:

Post a Comment