Monday, June 14, 2010

My Buddhist experience

After spending 'quality time' (understatement) at the 10 day retreat ~ Introduction to Buddhism ~ at Kopan Monastry with other discriminating folks/ participants from around the world I am readjusting to my self inflicted busyness here at Child Haven, Kathmandu...

I try to recall for you now a little of the sense of uncomplicated-ness lightness, gentle acceptance and focus that we experienced at Kopan. Such a culture shock! Mental pictures easily recalled of monks of all ages and nuns who have given up everything as they take on their daily 19-20 hour Buddhist training. They sort of embody and release the agonising history of their story. They appear so calm, peaceful and often even joyous. I spent many moments during those past few days watching the monks at leisure, between their many ceremonies and functions. They walk together, sometimes arm in arm, the young ones skipping along their way or kicking a plastic water bottle for a while. You can see a few moments of competition as they race to have momentary control of the bottle .... a few moments of youthful exhuberence, joy and, dare I say, abandonment? Then there is the young monk (7 or 8 ..) helping another who has tripped and fallen or has dropped his huge maroon scarf...

Kopan Monastry is on top of a hill overlooking Child Haven and the Kathmandu valley. I was immersed for ten days in a beautiful world! quiet paths leading you to another solitude, colourful plants, flowers and grasses. Powerful stupas and statutes adorn certain areas .... the Kite birds fly overhead, gentle birdsong in nearby bushes and trees .... I go on ...

Then I return to Aari Bari, where our CH home is and I once again face the realities of Kathmandu and Nepal. Despite the contrasting sights and sounds I cannot bring myself to define the scene as being in "abject" poverty. I cycle/ walk to the Buddanath square and I see hundreds or thousands of Nepalesse or Tibetan folks in front of their corrugated doorways. They are waiting for customers, 6 days a week, cross legged beside their early morning carefully laid out wares on the mud or flag stoned area. Through the open doors, and beyond these patiently seated families and individuals you see other men and women busy doing .... cutting meat, turning sewing machine wheels, and metal instruments and fires intent on making prayer flags, colourful hangings, clothing, singling bowls, icons .. everywhere you go you see goats, dogs and hens. Oh yes! there is the occasional cow and always those darned emaciated and often wretched looking dogs. They appear dead as they lie there lifeless. But, just wait, when the sun goes down there is a transformation of sound! The air is now filled with dogs barking. Could drive you nuts! I think I have zoned them out ...l


I am bringing visitors to Child Haven so I better stop my musings for now. There is just not enough time and space to give justice to my current experiences here in Nepal.

Reaching out to you with huge hugs,

Dyane

2 comments:

  1. Just recieved your post card - what a treat. And you are back to the world of blogging - so great. What a great blog. Your writing is so vivid I can almost hear the dogs in my study! Meanwhile I did a two day editing course in Calgary and doing a memoir class tonight with Monica up in Banff with Lynna and Rosslyn. I thought about you in downward dog this AM! Now it is raining again but good to keep me writing! Love Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, keep the thoughts and tips of memoirs for my return. It feels as if the next monsoon rains are about to start, so I will awa' over to Dyane Didi's (volunteer) Cottage for to correct papers, think of ways and means to bring the slow and lazy learners up to target and just hang out ... lovely to think of you all tucked away in the Rockies. I had a great dvd session Into Thin Air yesterday in my cottage (the first of many), followed by a grand gathering of all ages to watch The March of the Penguins. Served coffee and crackers with peanut butter to the grade 10 and 11 zes. They sure pile on the milk powder and sugar. Mosquitos land on my neck and arm but I have taken on the Ahimsa vow of no killing! whats a drop of blood or two between sentient beings!! hugs, d

    ReplyDelete