Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hindu wedding and more


Just returned from the second (evening) episode of a Hindu wedding of the son of our principal Montessori teacher. Yesterday Arjun, Benita, son and I went to the actual ceremony. Very colourful and very symbolic and extremely powerful event as these two are committing for life. It is an atypical arranged marriage. Everyone seems very happy about it. The bride and group are the sweetest couple you could meet. To see them putting garlands around each other's neck, sprinkling petals on the other's heads, the Hindi priest washing both of their feet ....

Meantime we have a nepalese volunteer helping in the library who has been studying in the States! What a boon and arrived just at the right time before exams and I have just a month left to do what I have to do here. So all my six classes today I held in the library and got feed back from the students as to the books they read/ would like to read. Bonnie-Ma in Ottawa has asked me to compile a list of recommended reading materials for the Green Tara School Library. Students were extremely helpful.

I took a two day Reiki Introductory course this past Thursday and Friday. It was good and complementary to the "Ki" massage diploma and experience I have had in the past. It was terrific to spend the two days once again in the Kopan gopan Monastry and to meet up with pals and make new ones. A definite "Sanga" community I feel I have around me! Three of them are coming here to Child Haven tomorrow. One guy, Ivo, is an artist, and is going to show the Grade 10s and 11s how to design Mandalas (important aspect of Buddhism and Hindism and used by many to "facilitate contemplation and meditation") We have a few budding artists in our midst and hopefully we will be able to laminate some and put them up. The other visitor is Henrich from Germany, who is joining us with his camera and some magasines and will confer with the students as to design and layout of photo and have the kids take each other's photo for their own use. That should also be a hit especially since these particular kids will be leaving CH soon to strik out on their own. So a good looking photo will be great to take away. Later on in the day when the younger kids come back from school we will repair to the dining room and do some mandala colouring on the floor and perhaps sing some songs (Ivo's idea!). I am looking forward to this novel afternoon! Our Saturday film show at Dyane Didi's cottage was fun too.

On Tuesday I have to miss teaching and go to Thamel to get my tourist visa renewed for another month. I leave Nepal (dont/ wont believe it) in one month's time.

Thats enough chat for now. There are cries of excitement upstairs as the kids are cheering on England and some other country in the World Cup! I may join them before retiring.

hugs,

Dyane

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you are loving it all. So great We will think about you on tuesday gateway literary guild and strawberry shortcake society!!

    ReplyDelete