Thursday, May 20, 2010

horizons expand

Kathmandu, Thursday, May 20, my one day off! I have spent most of the morning and into the afternoon in a MAC store! I had to buy a new electric cord as mine burned up due to one of the many daily power surges we experience daily! :{ So thrilled to be with folks who know about MACs! I end up by buying a round light portable speaker and a remote control AND a new IPOD!! Rice and potatoes and liquid diet for a while! But I feel so happy about these purchases, as my kids songs, speeches and short dvds cannot be heard in my classrooms and now I feel newly empowered and excited about my next weeks classes! On top of this I have just received a couple of very complimentary e-mails from Arjun, 'my boss', Manager/Coordinator of Child Haven! It is good to have a day like this! There are times, you can imagine, that one has to work through one frustration after another, so when life presents gifts like this to me I feel wonderful! Now I am off to have a swim and a shower and HANG OUT IN THE LOVELY GARDEN at the fancy hotel where Ghis and I went last week.

Meantime, my first scheduled week of classes (Sunday and Tuesday) went very well. Six back to back 45 minutes english classes (grades 2-7). The Montesssori teachers wait for me to come to their classes too! How heart warming it is to enter each room and the children stand up and sing a welcoming song to you!! The energies and enthusiasm of these folks is exciting, to say the least. We took in another little boy the other day. I helped him cycle his first little bicycle in the yard. So poignant! I continue to teach staff and didis when I can. wont go on in details about my teaching and classes at this time as the day is fast diminishing and I want to jut BE!

Talking of BE ing, yesterday I met and had an iteresting chat with a young monk from Scotland! Today I met an artist guy from Holland and we had a heart warming chat over tea. He arrived today and will stay in Nepal for at least 3 months. He has just come from Sri Lanka, I think, learning and practicing the Middle Way (Buddhism) and loved his days spent on top of mountains just being quiet... He wants to live this modest life style and is going to start up a circle at home in Holland and to finance his work he may be able to sell his pen and ink pictures, which are really lovely. He gave me a tip about week long retreats in a monastry nearby..... June there is a session.... yahoo!!

Meantime, I wonder about the folks in the Canmore Yoga Lounge, my writing buds and of course Arran, Teresa and friends in Vancouver and Rosemary et al in Toronto... the folks in Ireland, England, Australia, Spain, Africa, Scotland ..... we are all on this wonderful wonderful journey of discovery.

hugs, Dyane (Mom)

2 comments:

  1. It is Marg Rees birthday luncheon. Just come from Simmi's wondrous yoga class. Went to a talk last night in Banff by Pico Iyer who has hung out with the Dalai Lama, Indian ethnicity, educated at eton and USA hangs out in California and Japan. Very interesting - so I have decided my goal for the summer is to explore stillness. How novel is that for a person who has spent so much time in motion. My boy Chris is here in Canmore for a week so far - he and his buddy have just headed out to Sunshine. I am working on my writing now and again - wondering about what obstacles I have to overcome to fulfil my dream! Many self sabotage and doubt. Now if I thought I could not fail .......that would be a different matter. The Garden sounds divine - this has been a week of spring bursting forth - new leaves, bird song, geraniums, deer in my back yard - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated happy birthday to Marg and its good to hear that Simmi is still giving wondrous yoga classes. Send this guy Pico Iyer my way, cos I am in love with the Dalai Lama ... I cannot and will not get enough of him, as he holds the answer in his earth shaking mirth driven wisdom. Good for you and those who go for stillness.. what a challenge, especially in busy internal places. I hope that I can manage a 10 day retreat in a wonderful monastry nearby. I sure could take the two day silent one! But my (english teaching) voice is needed for now. Thanks Moonshadow, for keeping in touch. Your thoughts, ideas and photos are surely beautiful. xd

    ReplyDelete