Friday, April 30, 2010

Thoughts before May 1

Headlines here with pic in The Himalayan (March 30, 2010) "a huge cashe of materials used for making petrol bombs being presented before mediapersons by Metropolitan Police in Kathmandu on Thursday" .. and "As UCPN-Maoist is preparing for May 1 showdown across the country terming it People's Movement III, more than 200 Maoist cadres, including People's Liberation Army brigade commander, have revolted against the party" .... and, here we are! Gislene and I parted company this morning, after a lovely breakfast on a terrace of Throng La guest house, and she putting her birthday gift (a little buddah charm necklace) around my neck. Indeed, fond farewells. We have such wonderful memories of our times together. Now, she will go and do a couple of small treks north of Kathmandu for the next week or so. Thapa, my Khatmandu guide hopes that she can travel, as he feels there will be much unrest in the neighbouring villages and towns, and transport may well be affected.

I am so happy that Thapa, my K. guide insisted that I not stick around here and had me organize myself to be picked up this afternoon by the Childhaven administration. So, those of you who may be worrying about me, dont, as I will be behind the safe walls of the Khatmandu orphanage, settling down to volunteer with as much zest and energies and understanding that I can muster.

I must say that this mode of communication, although not perfect, and always $$$s rushed, is great; it gets me off the hook and you can stay with me for my entire journey. Believe me there are times when it is important to know that I have such a great family and friends.

Oh yes, the weather here is much less tropical, as in Chitwan and Lumbini. It is overcast here in this city, and there is an air of expectation. The huge parade we saw this morning was extraordinarily touching. The pure intent and beauty in each face.... folks from the mountains and villages of Nepal .... beautiful costumes, simple flowers, nepalese headgear, cymbols, drums ... not of war, just wake up calls. Many many people's honest eyes contaced mine, warm smiles were shared, a certain understanding and love connected us.

Good talking, lots of love, hugs and NAMESTE/ PEACE and freedom to one and all

No comments:

Post a Comment