Sunday, May 6, 2012

Three weeks in Kathmandu 1 1/2 to go ...

It is slightly crazy, and I don't know if anyone is listening or accessing this old blog of mine; I have been writing you individually but for the aule soul wat is wanting to know what the hey I am up to ...  well, it is been, three weeks of teaching at three different hospitals here in Kathmandu and loving every moment of it.  The past few days I have been assisting in the MIDSON or Midwifery society of Nepal office with their preparing a news release for the IMD, or International Midwifery Day(s).  I attended an advocacy event and a health clinic in a small community outside Paton, East of Kathmandu.  I have enjoyed the ESL classes especially with the BN nurses at the Bir Hospital and feel really honoured to spend times with them.  They tell me that they have benefited from the various discussions, opportunity to speak, discuss, write on contraversial issues, like abortion, the sex trade, cancers, sexual health problems, mental health and ....  I can see that many of these all empowered nurses midwives will be directing their energies towards human rights in womens health.  Very exciting indeed.  I am teaching in two more hospitals and, because these folks are less fluent in English that the BN lot, we have different types of classes.  All in all, everyone wants me back to give them more ESL classes.  Women are hungry to learn and grow.  As I said, I am loving every single moment in the classroom.  I could go on but I wont here!  I have been invited to Nepalese homes, a hospital for the night and hung out with others living, studying, working in Kathmandu.  Today, Buddah's birthday, I attended a most inspiring mini retreat nearby.  Most appropriate and the message is empowering to me!  Tomorrow I am off trekking to Chisapani and Chauki Bhanjyang areas, north east of Kathmandu.  I have only these three days to play around, do this, before returning to help Cathy with a workshop when she returns from her midwifery clinics and workshops in a very remote part of Nepal called Jumla.  When I return, in three days, four of us are FLYING AROUND MOUNT EVEREST for an hour!!!  Seeing as I dont have time or probably the wherewithall energy and intelligence to reach the top of this amazing mountain I am going to LOOK DOWN at it, and send my prayers of gratitude and request for wellness for certain family and friends.  Cathy and I will leave on May 17th and meet some friends to cycle some of the Loire Valley in  France!  then I take the first of 5-days train pass to the mid Pyrenees to visit with Gislene and her family.  Gislene and I trekked the Annapurna circuit in 2010.  And after that ...  well, you will just have to re log on to my web and follow my European venture!  ....  enough for now, must go get ready for early start to trek tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.  Please comment or write an e-mail about YOUR doings.  love and hugs, Dyane

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to your blog! Life in Burnaby will be rather dull after all these adventures. You're one amazing sister and we are all so proud of you and what you are doing. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! say hello to Everest for me! Your news is much appreciated! xo ps - Sidney says thank you for the book and tattoos from mexico!

    ReplyDelete