Friday, July 30, 2010

Quick note on my last day here!

Gee, I hope that the internet here in Flavors does not crash this time before I post this blog off to the universe! Tomorrow, August 1, early in the morning, I leave for Mumbai, spend two days there and then off to Vancouver via Hong Kong and Seoul. It feels fun to be a world traveller! On one hand I wish I could visit these places and on the other it will be good to be home again with Arran in Vancouver.

The past few days have been filled with activities and projects. We have had some visitors to Child Haven and one gal, Shelley, a long time volunteer with Child Haven, is here for a few days and we have been having fun with the children and doing some things around the neighbourhood. Great to speak English at my normal speed again!

The Green Tara School library project is finished and, even though I say it myself, it looks fantastic! The student painted mandalas are all around the walls. Interesting books are placed in auspicious places, articles from the english and nepalese papers are pinned to the board ... Utsab, a senior student had his first day yesterday as a very happy and eager 'librarian assistant'. Even though it is holiday time some children, staff and even a few Didi caregivers have been brousing through the books, reading newspapers and helping each other. I have set up a monthly "who reads the most books" project for classes 3 through 7; there are embroidered library bags for the montly winners ...

The (graduated) grade 10ers will be walking down to Bouddanath square with me later this morning for coffee. When we return we will play outdoor games with the rest of the kids, that is, if the monsoon rains keep away. Otherwise we will meet in the dining hall to play games and I have lots of goodies to share!

I will hold my last English class cum coffee and goodie clutch in my cottage this afternoon! We have had so much fun each gathering. It is a pleasure to see these hard working women throw back their head in laughter and joy and rewarding to hear them speak so much more than before .... They are all so affectionate .... it will be sad to say goodbye. This evening the children are planning a dance or something for me. I love watching them dance. What an honour!

These are the plans for today. But, as the custom in Nepal, and in Ireland, things can change at a moment's notice. Meantime, right here and now, a Buddhist monk has been asking me for assistance with his MAC computer ....

Om mane pad me hum! playing outside .... this is an amazing world.
Love and compassion abounds.

Dyane

No comments:

Post a Comment